Following the latest meeting of the HSE COVID 19 GP Communications subgroup we would like to draw your attention to the following changes in advice for patients and for GPs:
- The interim case definition has been updated to include a number of new regions that have presumed community transmission of COVID 19.
- The list now includes China, Hong Kong, Iran, Singapore , South Korea and some northern and north eastern provinces in Italy (Emilia-Romagna, Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto). This list will be reviewed daily.
- The case definition now includes fever as one of the clinical criteria and no longer includes sore throat.
- Basic advice about hand hygiene, infection control techniques and cough etiquette remains essential and is unchanged.
- Potential patients are still advised to PHONE rather than turn up at GP surgeries or OOH settings
Information Videos: Dr Nuala O Connor, ICGP Lead on antimicrobial resistance and Infection Control and the HSE Lead Dr Martin Cormican have recorded a number of Videos and Clinical Scenarios about possible patient presentations and decontamination procedures. The videos will be accessible tomorrow and we will inform you of the links once available on the websites listed.
This is a rapidly evolving scenario and information and advice will be updated regularly. Please check the following sites on a daily basis:
Updated GP Algorithm is available here.
Patients seeking advice re planned travel should be advised to consult the Department of Foreign Affairs for their latest updates www.dfa.ie
Clinical resources and guidance are available on the Clinical Hub on the ICGP Website.
Dr Nuala O Connor’s broadcast on RTE 1 TV Primetime, 25th February 2020. Click here for the playback of this broadcast.
We will continue to keep you informed.